Through a Lens – Brief and First Response

This project aims for us to embrace technology and world of digital to create a 20 second animation or an Augmented Reality experience inspired by either our Hand and Eye or Hybrid Forms project while injecting it with the idea of time.

I was originally really daunted about the project because even though I frequently paint and sketch digitally that feels very different from animation. I have considered learning animation before and I just assumed I couldn’t do it, so I never tried. I decided fear was not a helpful emotion and decided to ignore it. Straight away I was inspired and decided to use that emotional positively to quickly create a concept so I could move on to the process as I knew it was going to take a lot of time.

When coming up with a concept and fleshing it out, I starting asking myself questions and jotting it all down. The main question I kept asking myself was what was excited about in the previous projects? Which I struggled with because I wasn’t ecstatic with either of the outcomes. So I went back to the planning process of each project and found one idea from each to put into this new project.

The two ideas I was most excited and passionate about was the use of typography and the symbolisation of moths I used in my monster from Hand and Eye.