Workshop 3 – Outside In – Part one

I started by following the instructions and taking a photo of myself, at the moment my hair is near white, and blends in with the background which was interesting, and fun to paint. The first medium I choose to use is acrylic inks and to paint it, because it is the medium I know best and have on hand at the moment.

Black and white photo of myself
The painting – negative version of myself
Inverted image of the painting.

I was quite surprise how well it looks like once flipped. I have a lot of experience painting portraits and I believe that is what made me so successful in this first attempt. Now I am going to paint myself again, using the inverted image as reference and see how well that goes. Before moving onto other mediums.

Painting 2 – The painting before it’s flipped, positive image
The inverted painting – negative image

I was surprised mainly how the variety in tones I got out of the four images. With the copy of the positive image of the first attempt, I noticed instead of painting what I saw, I painting what I knew, and how things should look. I paint a lot of faces, and I know where shading should be and how. So sometimes I forgot to paint what I see but I painted what I knew should be.