Identity Define – Process – Post 4

The Portrait started my ideas for my time based piece. I loved the typography I had used, and that was a starting off point. So I started drawing out my Manifesto in that style of typography, I also did some style frames, and these became the basis. From here I took all the frames and started spacing them out on after affects to get and idea of timing and what was needed. From hear I worked on a background which was simple so it wasn’t overwhelming, but gather the idea of growth I was going for.

In my style frames, I had these splatter effects in the background, when working on my style frames, I had all the backgrounds the same, I knew I wanted the splatter to move. So I worked on two separate animations. A white splatter motion effect on a background (knowing that if I overlay and use the correct blending mode in After Effects this would be the easiest) and a red splatter on a white background for the same reasons. I then overlaid and looped them in AE adapted their timings, and their blending mode and opacity to get the best and desired result.

I knew this was personal for me, and I was looking back a lot at my journey in inspiration for this piece, and made me think of all the old VCR videos we used to record of my family when I was a child. I wanted that feeling, when you get a little nostalgic, so I started to create the same feeling by lowing the resolution. At this point knowing I didn’t want a voice over, but needed some sort of background sound. So I spent some time mixing just some relaxing chill music with a looped sound of an old projector. These were still before my time, but the result still brought up the emotional nostalgic feeling I was aiming for. Then after adding that. I knew I wanted to play with the saturation at the start of the video and added the effect where colour gently faded in for the intro to the video.